-Price Paid: $138.00
-Used for Every Day Carry
-Owned for Less than 1 Month
i bought my first Emerson, a Mini Commander SF, from a reputable on-line dealer. I intended to EDC it, but after ten minutes with this one, I googled "Emerson quality issues" and found myself here. Normally I wouldn't take the time to review a knife, but am so irritated by how abysmally bad this thing is I feel I have to.
All I can say is: "What a disappointment."
Where do I start?
First, the build quality is pathetic. My 30 dollar Walmart blister pack Kershaw is finished -so- much better than this hunk of junk. It's bloody awful. Here's a list of my issues:
- The scales don't lie flush to the liner on the back of the non-locking side.
- The liner's perimeter is practically unfinished - file or tooling marks ALL THE WAY AROUND the edges of both liners.
- The edges of the liners and scales are not flush in multiple places, and this isn't "catch a fingernail" uneven, it's better than a two millimeters at the front/bolster area.
- The blade's not centered (and by not centered, i mean it's off by 20%).
- The thumb wheel is not perpendicular to the blade. Not perpendicular meaning canted at > 15 degrees.
- The knife's sharp, but when whomever put this together and stropped the back of the blade to remove the burr, they were drunk or high, it's so wavy and uneven as to be comical.
- The inner surface of the "Wave" on the blade looks like a 5 year old with a file hacked at it. So does the back of the "Wave". I wish I could attach pictures.
- The jimping on the thumb ramp at the back of the blade is not even and has an unfinished appearance.
- When open, the jimping on the thumb ramp and the liners aren't even close to matching.
What a bitter pill this is to swallow, the much-ballyhoo'ed and vaunted Emerson is junk straight out of the box!
The ONE good thing I can immediately say about this is that the re-curve grind is BEAUTIFULLY executed and the only reason I'm willing to give this a chance - otherwise,, it's -so- bad that I'm wondering if I got a fake? The dealer I purchased this from is a well known entity whose anonymity I'm protecting (as build quality isn't their problem), so I can't imagine that's it.
Literally 5 minutes into looking at it and I was thinking to myself "what the heck is this"???!!!??? C'mon, boys and girls, a knife that retails for $195 should NEVER have as many quality issues as this one does.
I'm not expecting Sebenza here, just be as good as a 30 dollar Walmart Kershaw. The Emerson Mini Commander I received IS NOT.
I'm sending it back to Emerson and asking for a do-over, hopefully they take care of it and earn a customer by providing a knife worthy of the Emerson name.
Comment by Jimmy 06/16/2014
I hate how people claim it to be a fake when the reviewer was sure it was from a reputable dealer. IMHO it's just trying to make crap excuses. Emerson knives are known for crap f
Comment by Doug 06/12/2014
I haven't seen your knife, but I have a dozen or so Emersons, some of which I've carried for quite a few years. Mine have all been excellent knives. None of them were purchased to be show pieces. Mine work. My first Emerson was a mini-commander, and when I opened the box, I knew I had something that would be with me for a long time. It got taken, eventually, in Iraq, but Emersons have accompanied me to some of the worst places on earth, and have never, not once, given me pause for complaint. They stay in the hand when wet. They cut when they need to. They lock up. They're consistent. The work in one hand. If I had anything to complain about, it might be the one weak point; the clip. They've bent on me, but only after getting snagged on something. The bottom curl cuts out just a little too far, in my opinion, and I've had a few snag on something as I squeezed through. Other than that, the knives have been exactly what they claimed to be (which was never a work of art). Even in places where the only weapon I could get away with carrying was my Emerson, it was there, and I've quite literally staked my life on them. I see no reason to change that.
Comment by Ed 03/04/2013
I just did a comparison check with my mini-Commander BT (bought about 12 years ago) and the craftmanship of mine shines out everywhere in this knife, but particularly in those areas that you found problematic in yours. After more than two years, you should post to confirm or deny the possibility adverted by the previous replies, i.e. that you got a counterfeit Emerson.
Comment by KO 09/07/2011
Hi Bo, did you send the knife back and what was the final resolution? Was it a fake or not?
Comment by adam 08/27/2011
You just bought a fake commander, i don't know who this 'reputable' seller is, but you just got ripped off. Go to youtube and type counterfeit emerson and click on the commander. You just bought a fake m8.